The Best & Worst Selling Cars of 2017


Apart from the Coachella Festival attendance in 2017, there were other numbers that were soaring. The number of vehicles bought in 2016 and 2017 was relatively the same and very high. Hitting an unprecedented 17.55 million units in a year. This being America, the land of truck enthusiasts, trucks like the Ford F-150 continued to lead the sales and other models with similar traits also joined them. SUVs and trucks have for a long time been known to grab the biggest slice of the pie in the American car market.

Experts have it at an estimated 60% leaving the rest with only 40%, which translates to "Just pack and leave" for the smaller cars. With this kind of struggle going on, some models have remained in car dealerships with everyone seemingly uninterested in them while others have had the chance to thrive. Here are some of the best and worst selling vehicles of 2017.

1

Who took the first three positions?

If you are wondering why we put the first three together, it is because the American has a thing for - you guessed it..trucks!! As it has always been, trucks dominated car sales in the past year. The Ford F-series sold 896,764 units in 2017 followed by the Chevy Silverado and the Ram which sold 585,864 and 489,418 trucks respectively. The Camry has always been fourth, but the Rav 4 and Nissan Rogue decided to slide in.

2

How good was the Mazda CX-9?

After the 2015 model year, the Mazda CX9 dropped the old-fashioned look of a minivan and got a fresh new looks as a midsized SUV. The following year saw the CX-9 boast of a 2.5-liter SkyActiv engine that churns out 250 ponies and the market seemed to love it. During the last year, this model saw a 61% increase in sales. If that is not enough to make Mazda build that production plant in the US even quicker then you might wonder what is.

3

What about the Tesla Model X?

While we agree that the world is going green and electric car manufacturers are making a killing out of it; it is totally unexpected that the model that makes it here is the highly priced Tesla Model X. The Model X has everything one would look for when searching for a modern electric car that is luxurious. It has comfortable leather seats, Autopilot capability and a host of other tech features. It went up by 66.7% in sales from 14,400 units in 2016 to 24,000 in 2017. Quite impressive, we'd say the numbers are skyrocketing.

SEE ALSO:
Sponsored Links
4

Which are the least desired cars of 2017?

The Hyundai Equus. Hyundai phased out the Equus in 2016 to concentrate more on the Genesis G90. For 2017, the Equus only recorded a sale of 20 units which is really low. Can this sedan become the luxury brand that Hyundai intends it to become? Only time will tell.

5

How did the Ford GT fair?

This one does not make it here because of a drop in the number of cars sold; rather, we blame it on exclusivity. Ford sold only 89 units of the GT in 2017 which is highly attributed to its price and limited production. It would be great if more people would afford them but here we are.

6

What about the Bentley Mulsanne?

I thought you people loved Bentley? This one is big and expensive, hard to understand what people did not like about it; we are guessing it is the size. But seriously, away with the jokes, the price tag on this thing made it affordable to only 98 clients last year.

Get the latest vehicle news, advice & deals.